2023 press releases
Groundbreaking report exposes major gap between consumer expectations and community offerings in senior living
[Vancouver, June 5, 2023] - The International Council on Active Aging (ICAA), a prominent association shaping the active-aging industry, and Age of Majority (AoM), a research-driven marketing consultancy, have released a first-of-its-kind report capturing and comparing the perspectives of professionals working within the senior living industry, as well as older adults who are potential residents or customers.
This landmark report — “Unlocking the future: Closing the gap between consumer expectations and community offerings in senior living” — uncovers a notable disparity in perceptions between senior living managers and staff, who view their communities as positive, fun, healthy, entertaining, and vibrant, and adults aged 40+ , who tend to perceive senior living environments as old, depressing, safe, and boring. This significant disconnect highlights the need for a deeper understanding of the expectations and desires of potential residents.
The report explores the critical issue of aligning current offerings in the senior living industry with the evolving needs and expectations of prospective residents to help identify opportunities for actionable steps and strategic planning within the industry.
To facilitate this understanding, the report explores five key sub-themes:
- The disconnect in perceptions: Examining the gap between how senior living communities see themselves and how potential residents perceive them.
- The draw of "autonomous" living: Investigating the appeal of independence among older adults and its impact on their choices in senior living.
- Overshadowing lifestyle realities: Identifying how negative perceptions can overshadow the true benefits and opportunities within senior living communities.
- The amenities gap: Highlighting the mismatch between amenities offered by senior living communities and those desired by potential residents.
- The perception-desire duality in health and wellness: Exploring contrasting views between the perceived health and wellness offerings of senior living and the actual desires of prospective residents.
This report serves as a crucial resource for the senior living industry. By addressing the identified disparities, senior living providers can enhance their services and better cater to the evolving needs and desires of older adults.
Unlocking the future: Closing the gap between consumer expectations and community offerings in senior living is now available through the official websites of the ICAA (www.icaa.cc) and AoM (www.ageofmajority.com). This report marks a significant milestone in understanding and improving the senior living experience for the growing population of older adults.
For ICAA-related media inquiries, please contact:
Colin Milner, Founder and CEO
International Council on Active Aging (ICAA)
About the International Council on Active Aging (ICAA)
ICAA is a professional association that leads, connects and defines the active-aging industry and supports professionals who aspire to develop wellness cultures for adults over 50. This support includes creating wellness environments, programs and services. The association is focused on active aging—an approach to aging that helps older adults live life as fully as possible within all dimensions of wellness—and provides its members with education, information, resources and tools. As an active-aging educator and advocate, ICAA has advised numerous organizations and governmental bodies.
For Age of Majority-related media inquiries, please contact:
Jeff Weiss, President and CEO
Age of Majority
About Age of Majority
Age of Majority is a research-driven marketing consultancy that uncovers unmet needs to help brands and organizations become more age desirable.
- About us
- About us Mission and vision Founder Advisors Contact us
- Press Press releases ICAA research ICAA events Member profile Media contact
- Beacon awards
- Membership ICAA 100 Organization Corporate partner Individual
- Advertise & exhibit
- Advertise & exhibit In-print Online In-person Initiatives Corporate partner Member profile Industry profile Sales leads Editorial Specifications
- Meetings & Expo
- ICAA conference & Expo Executive Summit ICAA Forums Virtual Summits Webinars
- Consumer information
- Welcome back to fitness Information guides Walking center
- Research Reports White papers Industry benchmarks Research Review Scientific research Infographics Glossary of terms
- On-demand education
- Virtual Summits Webinars Videos
- Active aging/wellness
- Active aging/wellness Wellness model Principles of Active Aging Continuum of physical function
- Business tools
- Business tools Wellness model Wellness audit Business case for wellness Going all in for wellness Principle of Active Aging Continuum of physical function Staff competencies Career path Executive think tanks