Resources for COVID-19 Response Center
During this pandemic crisis, the ICAA brings to you resources you could use to help yourself and your customers maintain and continue to improve their wellness. These resources can help you create and adjust your wellness programs.
General activities and engagement Ideas
- Free materials from National Institute on Aging:
- Activity booklet: created by Jorgensen, J.
- LaterLife Training. “I CAN” Active Calendar 2020.
- Arts and crafts:
- McIntosh, D. (March 19, 2020). Going the social distance. Telus.
Staying emotionally well
- Archer, S. (2018). Happiness and health, part one: How positive emotions affect physical well-being. The Journal on Active Aging, May/June 2018.
- Archer, S. (2018). Happiness and health, part two: What you can do to boost happiness. The Journal on Active Aging, November/December 2018.
- Biscontini, L. (2017). Making the mind matter. The Journal on Active Aging, July/August 2017.
- World Health Organization. (March 11, 2020). Q & A on COVID-19 and mental health. (YouTube: 39.09 minutes)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.) Mental health. Cdc.gov.
- Oxford Mindfulness Centre. Mindfulness sessions & podcasts. Oxfordmindfulness.org.
- Singalongs and music:
Staying intellectually well
- ICAA Innovators. (2016). Steady for Life’s: Steady & sharp brain carnival. The Journal on Active Aging, May/June 2016
- Brain teasers
- Printable puzzles, art, word searches
- Free virtual tours
- Free books, classes, videos, and audiobooks
Staying spiritually well
- Ludwig, S. (2017). Spiritual health and active aging: A perspective. The Journal on Active Aging, September/October 2017
- Write. Read. Converse. Listen.
- YouTube: search Spiritual music
Using and understanding technology
- Mitzner, T. & Remillard, E. (2019). How one telewellness project focused on helping older adults with mobility disabilities age in place. The Journal on Active Aging Special Technology issue 2019.
- Ludwig, S. (2019). The tech connections: Alleviating loneliness as we age. The Journal on Active Aging Special Technology issue 2019.
- AGE-WELL 4.2 Project. (February 2020). Playful aging: Digital games for older adults.
- Free Technology to connect with friends and loved ones:
Howfinity. (May 2019). How to use Skype-Beginners guide. (YouTube: 6.07 minutes)
Techboomers. (April 17, 2017). How to set up Facetime. (YouTube: 1.42 minutes).
Techboomers. (April 25, 2017). How to use Facetime. (YouTube: 2.46 minutes)
- Whatsapp: (especially good for international use-free)
Howfinity. (September 16, 2019). How to use Whatsapp-2020 beginner’s guide. (YouTube: 10.04 minutes)
- Google Hangouts
Staying environmentally well: Bringing nature indoors
- Interactive bird song chart: AAA State of Play. 50 bird species and the sounds they make.
- Staying environmentally well: YouTube: (search outdoor scenes, nature, animals, oceans, etc. There are thousands and find those that match your customers or your interests.)
- Relax24. (April 9, 2015). 12 hrs. Soft music-summer scenes-relaxing meditation study reading-snow melting! (YouTube: 12.17 hours)
- Meditation Relax Music. (September 2017). Absolutely stunning nature! Relaxing Celtic music for stress relief. Calming music. Music therapy. (YouTube: 3.03 hours)
- 321 Relaxing Meditation Clips. (November 2014). Rain sounds and rainforest animals sound-Relaxing sleep. (YouTube: 2.18 hours)
Self-care for professionals
- Watermark Retirement Communities -- Associate wellbeing -- Training on demand
- Tello, M. (2017). Self-care: 4 ways to nourish body and soul. Harvard Medical School.
- MyIntent. Free self-care resources. MyIntent.org.
- Exercise for self-care and your customers
- Yoga Couturier, K. Yoga for everyone: A beginner’s guide. New York Times.
- Yoga with Adriene (has an extensive collection of yoga tutorials for a range of experience). Youtube.com.
- Yoga Journal. Yoga for Beginners. yogajournal.com.
- Yee, C. (2018). Yoga for inner peace: A stress-relieving sequence. yogajournal.com.
- General exercises
- Headspace. Meditation. Headspace.com.
- Free meditation application for mobile devices. calm.com.
- Marchese, G. (October 9, 2019). Best free online guided meditations for beginners. Yoga Journal.
- Art Therapy
- National Sleep Foundation. Sleeping Tips & Tricks.
- Breus, M. (January 1, 2017). 5 Relaxation Techniques for Better Sleep. Psychology Today
- Sleep Spotify.com.
- Mawer, R. (February 17, 2020). 17 Proven Tips to Sleep Better at Night. Healthline.com
- (April 1, 2020). Sleep hygiene to fight COVID-19. TelusHealth.co